Many of you are probably wondering why it’s been nearly a month since I’ve written a blog – and to be honest, I’m wondering that too.
The past month passed in a whirlwind of papers, midterms, quizzes and stress. I am happier than ever – just insanely busy. I was approached to be a tutor as well, which is so awesome and will help me review for my Outcomes Assessment Exam (OA’s). That also means I have not 1, not 2, but 3 jobs! I feel like I’m going to look back at all this one-day and just laugh – in the meantime, I might cry.
Speaking of Outcomes Assessment Exams
The reason this program is rigorous, insane, and amazing, is because we are constantly being forced to review all that we have learned. Every year we are given computerized tests (like boards) split up into separate subjects– as practice (and just for fun!!!!). This round, 2nd year students have 3 exams – Points, Theory, and Western Sciences – each consisting of 100 multiple-choice questions. Students taking Materia Medica in addition to Acupuncture have a separate Herbs OA comprising 100 multiple-choice questions and a practical component to identify 20 herbs from the Materia Medica. So, I don’t know if you’re counting, but that’s 420 QUESTIONS….. just for fun. The silver lining is that the Herbs OA is split up – THANK goodness! …. If it were combined, I’d probably just hit the detonate button now.
It’s so funny because whenever the staff talks about the OA’s they say, “you know, we don’t do this to you because we hate you.” Each time, I just burst out laughing. I know they don’t do this because they hate us, they just want us to be THE BEST! Add the studying of OA’s on top of all the other stuff that’s going on in regular ole’ classes and you’ve got a veritable stress recipe. Then I secretly think to myself – maybe they do really hate us! So as any organized, efficient, and good student, I need a plan!
The Plan of Attack
- Listen to Eye of the Tiger every day!
- Write on my mirror in red lipstick, “I BELIEVE IN YOU DANIELLE!”
- Exercise 3x per week – cardio!
- Did I say STUDY?
- Keep a positive attitude
- Be a LIFE LEARNER – no more of this shoving info into my head for a week. I need to figure out how much I have actually retained.
- Oh yeah… STUDY more.
- Eat well – (warm foods for the transition into the cold weather!)
- Laugh a lot! At myself, the situation, and the sheer insanity of it all.
- Ponder my future practice – getting excited about the future actually makes me say, “Hm. Wow. I actually will be an acupuncturist soon – maybe I should study.”
- STUDY past materials a little bit each day. A mental break down is most definitely coming if I wait until the week before OA’s to study everything from the past year (HAH!)
- Keep contact with motivating people and CUT the rest. Like my best friend says, “sometimes you just need to ‘trim the fat.’”
- Get weekly acupuncture and chiropractic appointments
- Sleep as much as possible – for me this is at least 6-8 hours per night.
- And of course lastly – STUDY!!!!!!!!!!!
Fingers crossed. This will be a great month – see look – positivity is just oozing out of me – I just can’t help myself! 😉